'Betrayed' youth throws acid on fiancee, later commits suicide
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Amnesty welcomes SC verdict on transgender
- If Modi loses in Varanasi, no one will make him PM: Arvind Kejriwal
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
Irked over his fiancee's engagement to some other man, a youth first threw acid on her and later allegedly committed suicide in Nai Basti area, police said here.
The girl Shalini and the youth Naveen got engaged in May last year. Both of them used to work together at a mobile centre, they said.
However, the girl's mother later changed her mind and Shalini was engaged to another youth.
Agitated with this, Naveen reached her house last evening and threw acid on her face and feet, before allegedly consuming poison.
The family members of the girl rushed them to the district hospital from where they were referred to Meerut, but Naveen died on the way.
At the district hospital, Naveen told police that the youth to whom Shalini was re-engaged was present at her house at that time and he made Naveen drink a soft drink containing poison.
Deputy Superintendent of Police Rajesh Kumar said the matter was being investigated.