Bharat versus Hindustan
- Army out for relief in Chennai amid heavy rain, air services suspended
- Today, protest means sedition in India, says Rahul; Modi asserts people don't need to prove patriotism
- 'Real dirt' of India lies in minds, not streets: President Pranab Mukherjee
- Chidambaram hits out at govt after IT raids on son's firms
- Patidar quota agitation: Gujarat HC calls reservation an 'amoeboid monster '
At last, Rahul Gandhi made a decent speech. He should, however, not fall for the sycophantic praise he got from the Congress chamchas. They would have hailed him even if he had read out the alphabet. Even so, he has not said anything interesting all these years. Now it appears he has primed himself for the Election. The race for May 2014 began last weekend. Rahul Gandhi will have to prove himself before crowds of people not coached to praise him. He has a tendency to talk down to people and not take them with him. His advisers should coach him better.
Yet, the speech was still too backward looking. Like a Bollywood cliché, he said Mere paas Ma hai aur Dadi bhi hai. But most voters don't remember Indira Gandhi. The crowds which gathered in the streets of Delhi after the horrible gang rape do not credit Congress or its previous leaders with having reformed the society, nor for a gender-friendly regime. You cannot claim Congress being at the heart of the nation for 65 years and not accept responsibility for the myriad faults blatantly choking off the future of many citizens. Rahul Gandhi's critique of Congress Party was also self serving as if he or his family have had nothing to do with the overcentralisation, factionalism and cynicism which are rampant in the Congress. If he has a vision for the future, we have yet to see it along with the concrete policies which he would launch to cure his party and also the nation.
But in politics as in war, luck counts for a lot. It would seem the RSS works to help Congress by its behaviour. The way Mohan Bhagwat reacted to the gang rape contrasting a pure Bharat and a sullied India showed that the RSS (and BJP by implication) is anti-urban, anti-modern and anti-women. The most striking thing for me was Rahul Gandhi's use of the word Hindustan rather than Bharat. Obviously, brand Bharat has been contaminated by the RSS. We can expect a battle of Bharat versus Hindustan/India.
- Rajnath Singh's speech mocked the ideals that Ambedkar stood for
- Government should act on Jaitley’s criticism of Section 377, not look to the courts
- India will require greater ambition on increasing renewable energy
- Tactics that worked against tobacco can be used to thwart air polluters
- Not just an esoteric celebrity
- Under General Sharif, Pakistan army is carrying low-intensity war against diversity of opinion