Bharti Retail ropes in Raj Jain as CEO
- Target Uttar Pradesh: Narendra Modi goes to Varanasi, Rajnath Singh heads to Lucknow
- TRS rules out alliance with Congress in Lok Sabha, Assembly polls
- AAP releases sixth list; Tribal activist Soni Sori and Shazia Ilmi get tickets
- The trophy state: Behind Mizoram's clean sweep lies an extraordinary league
- Court imposes fine of Rs 2,500 each on Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia
Bharti Airtel today announced appointments of former head of Walmart India Raj Jain as its CEO and Pankaj Madan, another senior executive of erstwhile joint venture Bharti Walmart, as Chief Financial Officer.
Raj Jain, who left Walmart India in June last year, will report to Bharti Enterprises Vice Chairman and Managing Director Rajan Bharti Mittal, the company said in a statement.
Pankaj Madan, who was CFO at Bharti Walmart, had left the cash and carry firm in the wake of investigations of corruption allegations by Walmart in 2012.
Commenting on the appointments, Mittal said: "Bharti is committed to building a world-class retail venture and we are delighted to have Raj and Pankaj on board. I am confident that their rich experience and insights into the retail business will add immense value to company's growth plans."
Before this appointment, Jain was President of Walmart India and also held the position of Managing Director & CEO of Bharti Walmart Pvt Ltd for over six years.
In October last year, Bharti Enterprises and Walmart had announced they were parting ways to operate retail stores independently in India, ending speculation over the future of their six-year-old partnership.
Subsequently, the US retail major would buy out its Indian partner in their 50:50 cash-and-carry joint venture Bharti Walmart, which runs 20 wholesale stores under the Best Price Modern Wholesale brand in India, for an undisclosed sum.
At the time of the break up, Jain was roped in as an advisor by the Bharti Group. Earlier, he was the Asia Pacific Region Head, Marketing and Supply Chain at Whirlpool Corporation in Shanghai and had also served as Managing Director & CEO of Whirlpool of India Ltd.
Madan, on the other hand had held the position of CFO at Bharti Walmart, where he worked for over five years. Prior to that he was CFO, Grampian Country Food Group (Thailand).
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- I skiI skipped rally because I was misled: Anna Hazare
- Trouble for Khobragade as govt finds daughters have US, Indian passports