Bhujbal hits out at critics
- Thousands turn up at Narendra Modi's Varanasi roadshow, BJP's PM candidate files nomination papers
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Congress moves EC over Modi's roadshow in Varanasi
- From Marandi vs Soren to Deora vs Sanyal: Top 5 battles in Lok Sabha polls Phase 6
- Rahul Gandhi joins sister Priyanka in attacking Narendra Modi on snoopgate
- Elections 2014 Phase 6 LIVE: 40 per cent electorate caste vote in first seven hours
PWD minister Chhagan Bhujbal, who gave away the Mahatma Phule Samata Awards in the city on Wednesday said, "Whatever I say becomes a controversy. I have two kinds of opposers — those who oppose my party work and those who oppose my social work. Some have even made it their job to create a controversy from anything I speak. However, I will not give in to them and will keep saying whatever I want to."
Dr Bhalchandra Mungekar, MP promised to allocate Rs 25 lakh from his MP local area development funds for a light and sound show on Mahatma Jyotiba Phule and Savitribai Phule, if the district administration sends a proposal to him.
Mungekar said that these days, there are more thinkers and authors than readers.
"Earning a PhD, writing books, giving speeches seem to be the guidelines to become a thinker. Mahatma Phule was not like that," he said.
Mungekar added that a thinker has to be a true intellectual with foresight.
Mahatma Phule had rightly represented today's issues of farmers' suicides and water scarcity.
"Today, the caste system is strengthening in a way, instead of weaning. Political, commercial and social powers are being concentrated in members of certain castes," he said.
MP Samir Bhujbal, MLA Girish Bapat, Mohan Joshi, Pankaj Bhujbal, corporator Kamal Vyawahare and others were present at the function.
- At least 65 EVMs replaced in six Lok Sabha seats in Assam
- Twitter cofounder talks of 26/11, Indian farmers in new book
- UP records over 24 pc voter turnout till 11 AM, 20 per cent turnout in Chhattisgarh
- Arvind Kejriwal lashes out at BJP for attack on Somnath Bharti
- ANF official accused of killing youth a gallantry award winner
- Maharashtra: Poor turnout till 9 am in third phase of polling