Big crime in a metro
- April 23 campaign roundup: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- IPL 7: All-round Jadeja steals show in CSK win
Vijay Palande and Arunkumar Tikku:On April 7, Delhi bizman Tikku was murdered in his Oshiwara flat.
Crime Branch arrested Vijay Palande, Dhananjay Shinde and Manoj Gajkosh and claimed they committed the crime to usurp Tikku's property. However, hours after police announced the arrests, Palande fled custody. Police spent a few tense hours before he was recaptured. The arrest helped cops unravel another murder, of Karan Kakkar. While recovering pieces of Tikku's body from Kumbharli Ghat in Satara, police found remains of another body and Palande was ultimately charged with three murders.
Laila Khan:It took a year and more for Mumbai Police to find the bodies of the starlet (30) and her five relatives on vacation after a 'missing' complaint was lodged in February 2011. Police claimed Pervez Iqbal Tak, lover of Laila's mother, and his accomplice Shakir Hussain Wani bludgeoned the six to death and dumped the bodies in the backyard of the family's farmhouse in Igatpuri before fleeing with jewellery. Probe into the murder bared a story of failed Bollywood dreams, drugs and broken family.
Bidushi:Denying their own theory, Mumbai Police might dub it accidental death and close the "murder" probe of the 23-year-old model and small-time actor. Bidushi Dash, an Orissa native who was brought up in Chennai, was found dead in her suburban Andheri apartment on October 23. With a diabetic history, glass shreds in her body and other theories, including homicide and suicide, D N Nagar Police are now awaiting a final medical report to draw a final conclusion on her death.
Versova siblings:Homoeopath Rameez (25) and writer Rehab Chougle (27) died the same day, with forensic reports suggesting they consumed and inhaled ammonium phosphide. Even after exhuming the body of Rameez, police are still wondering if the siblings, who walked into their home on a July evening, inhaled or consumed the poisonous chemical. While a chargesheet has been drafted against pest-control contractor Rukhsana Almekar, Borivali shopkeeper Hitendra Shah, who sold the chemical, and a Pune supplier, the probe has reached a deadend.
- Main accused in hawala racket has underworld links: Police
- Sindhu, Kashyap advance, Srikanth exits early at Asian C’ships
- Adhiban recovers, stays in lead
- 1 jumps to death as fire breaks out in Surat 10-storey building
- Barcelona gets temporary relief as FIFA freezes transfer ban
- Moyes thanks Ferguson, stays mum on players