Big names skip pro-CM ‘intellectuals’ Haldia visit
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
The much hyped fact-finding visit of pro-Mamata "intellectuals" to Haldia turned out to be a flop with several big names giving it a miss. Prominent faces like Suvaprasanna, Samir Aich, Arpita Ghosh, Bibhas Chakraborty, Joy Goswami, Shaonli Mitra were nowhere to be seen. Instead, some obscure names like poet Prasun Bhowmick, advocate Joydeep Mukherjee, academician Amiya Chowdhury, writer Pachu Roy and others visited Haldia.
Curiously, a senior doctor of Calcutta Medical College and Hospital, Dr Prabir Banerjee, took a casual leave to be part of the team.
Though escorted by police vehicles, the team was not allowed entry to the dock. Bhowmick said: "We faced total non-co-operation from the dock authorities".