Big names suffer first round defeats
- Sushma Swaraj rubbishes Pakistan's 4-point peace formula at UN
- US shooting: 15 dead, 20 wounded at Oregon community college; shooter detained
- Day after Dadri lynching, VP Ansari says state has to ensure right to life
- Delhi: Man shoots self at Rajiv Chowk Metro station
- BJP MP compares Modi with Gandhi, Cong says 'sycophancy at its worst'
Top seeds including familiar names such as Anirban Ghosh, Sourav Chakraborty and Subhajit Saha fell by the wayside in the ongoing National Ranking (North Zone) Table Tennis Championships at the Thyagraj Stadium. Joining their ranks from the women's category were Ankita Das, Pooja Sahasrabuddhie, Divya Deshpande, Moushumi Paul and Manika Batra who failed to go past the first round.
Howoever, Soumyadeep Roy (No 1 seed here) remained the only beneficiary in the absence of Soumyajit Ghosh and Anthony Amalraj to progress to the quarterfinals. The PSPB player defeated Mohit Verma of Haryana 11-7, 11-9, 11-6, 11-7 and will now take on fellow PSPB paddler G. Sathyan in the quarters.
Poulomi Ghatak, on the other hand endured a tough time against Narasimha Priya as she had to put in her extra in an 85-minute gruelling encounter to win 4-3 (11-5, 11-8, 6-11, 9-11, 20-22, 12-10, 11-9) to reach quarters. Delhi girl Manika Batra's poor form yet again saw her failing to deliver on the expectations and went down to Suthirtha Mukherjee from West Bengal. The Bengal girl won 10-12, 11-5, 8-11, 11-9, 11-6, 11-8. The other two two PSPB girls, Divya and Moushumi also lost . Shreya Ghosh of RSPB defeated Divya 4-3 (11-3, 7-11, 8-11, 10-12, 6-11, 12-10, 11-8) while Moushumi lost to Delhi's Neha Aggarwal 11-8, 11-6, 11-8, 11-9.