Big Picture: Looking back at 2013
- Elections LIVE: After snubbing Jaswant, BJP says not sidelining senior leaders
- Search for MH370 LIVE: France has possible images of missing plane debris
- Sharad Pawar encourages party workers to vote twice in Lok Sabha polls
- Thane shocker: 24-year-old woman brutalised for refusing to enter flesh-trade
- Four IM operatives nabbed from Rajasthan, had plans to attack Modi rally
They were among the faces of the tragedies and stories that played out in 2013. As the year draws to a close, they are beginning to put the past behind. The shadows still haunt, but they are willing to believe 2014 will be a New Year...
1. Muzaffarnagar riots: Gulab Ali has been staying for the past four months at a relief camp in Sanjhak village of Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh. While most riot victims living in camps have been struggling to meet basic necessities like food and protection from the biting cold, Gulab has been missing his books the most.
2. 5-year-old Delhi Rape victim: In Delhi, the memory of December 16, 2012, was still raw, and the stomach-churning assault on a child added fuel to the accumulating rage against the system. The family left the east Delhi neighbourhood because the questions would not go away. From police stations to shelter homes, the father says he encountered indifference—from the police officer who bribed him with Rs 2,000 "to keep things quiet" to the shelter where his ailing daughter was allegedly slapped, and which evicted her without a day's notice.
3. Bihar mid-day meal tragedy: Neha Kumari (10), who also ate the rice and soyabean curry that day, had to be hospitalised and remained there with 23 other village children for about a month. She still complains of cough and intermittent fever. Though she has no complications because of poisoning any more, her father Baliram Mishra continuously worries for his daughter.
- Mamata slams Cong, BJP for passing Telangana Bill
- Mollah calls for Muslim-Dalit ‘Maha Jot’ to defeat Left, TMC
- Didi releases party manifestos, reflects ‘national ambition’
- Rs 700-crore hawala racket busted, Surat trader’s home, office raided
- Just a click away, one stop data on over 10 lakh criminals
- The age of individualism