Big two in jail, questions over succession in INLD
- Rail Budget 2015: No hike in passenger fares, Prabhu promises modern rail network
- Rail Budget: Ally Shiv Sena not satisfied, but Mulayam says Prabhu has done a 'good job'
- Rail Budget futuristic and passenger centric: PM Modi
- PDP, BJP thrash out differences; all clear for Mufti-Modi meeting tomorrow
- Hummer horror: Senior policeman suspended for secretly meeting Kerala businessman
Being jailed for political reasons is not new for the Chautalas, but this is the first time that they have been put behind the bars on charges of criminal conspiracy, cheating and forgery.
Chautala always appoints a state president but nationally the INLD's command remains in his own hands or with Ajay. The reins of the state unit are in the hands of Ashok Arora and prior to this in the hands of Sher Singh Badshami, who is also now housed in Tihar Jail.
Contacted, Arora, refused to name the person who will head the national unit of the party. However, he said that the INLD's main activities are in Haryana and "I take care of that." "On national level, collective decisions are taken," he added. Former Finance Minister Sampat Singh, who had quit the INLD, to join the Congress, believes INLD's dynastic tradition may turn out to be its undoing.