Bihar: Villagers kill 12-year-old boy for stealing phone recharge voucher, gutkha
- Disquiet in BJP as M M Joshi, Sushma raise questions over selected candidates and seat sharing
- Nandan Nilekani, Mohammad Kaif in Congressâs first list for 194 seats
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Naidu
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Kejriwal joins list of VIPs with âZâ category security
A 12-year-old boy was beaten to death for stealing a mobile phone recharge voucher and gutkha worth Rs 300 in a village in Purnia district Saturday. The police on Sunday evening registered a case against eight people.
The incident took place at Thadi village after two village boys allegedly stole the recharge voucher and gutkha from a village shop. Pintu (13) and Chhotu (12) were produced before a village panchayat. After the two "confessed" to the crime, Pintu's father begged a panchayat member to forgive for his son. While he was pardoned, there was no one to defend Chhotu as his mother was away. He was then reportedly beaten up in the presence of the panchayat. He succumbed to his injuries on Saturday evening.
Purnia SP Ajit Kumar Satyarthi confirmed the incident and called it a possible case of mob justice.