Bikaner baby, with lips, nose cheek bitten off by father, dies
- LIVE: ISI supports LeT, JeM and Hizbul, David Headley tells court
- J&K govt formation: Ram Madhav to hold talks with Mehbooba Mufti to break impasse
- Soldier, who survived Siachen avalanche, being flown to Delhi hospital
- DDCA row: Delhi HC dismisses Kirti Azad's plea seeking court-monitored probe
- Net bad assets of govt banks a third of their net worth
A five-month-old-baby girl from Bikaner, whose father had bitten off parts of her lips, nose and cheek in a fit of rage, died at a government hospital here today.
"The condition of the baby deteriorated last night after she was breastfed by her mother. The milk entered into her lungs following which some complications developed and she was put on ventilator support but she died," Spokesperson of the Sawai Man Singh Government Hospital here said.
The girl was operated upon on Februrary 1.
Police said the baby's 36-year-old father Bahadur Singh will be charged with murder.
The baby had underwent a reconstructive plastic surgery on February 1 at the Sawai Man Singh Government Hospital here and the doctors had said the baby was able to breathe and swallow better following the operation that went on for over five hours. But her condition turned critical following which she was put on ventilator early on Wednesday.
The accused, Bahadur Singh, worked as a trucker and after losing an arm in an accident had started working as an agricultural labourer.
Her three-year-old elder sister, who was also bitten on the back and hand, is in hospital too. The injuries on her hand have got infected.
The babies' mother has said she decided to flee her alcoholic husband of 17 years, Bhadar Singh, after he attacked both their daughters.
On the night of January 24, she said, he had come home drunk and asked her to do some work. She had said she had mehndi on her hand and asked him to wait.
Flying into a rage, Singh had allegedly first started beating her up and when their elder daughter raised an alarm, bit her on her back and hand.
Awakened by the commotion, the five-month old had started crying and Singh allegedly rushed to the baby, picked her up and bit off her nose and upper lip and swallowed them.
- Government must resolve growing burden of non-performing assets
- Outrage over police assault on students is meaningless
- Right to a toilet: For the health, dignity and safety of women in slums
- Raja-Mandala: Maritime India versus Continental Delhi
- The Akhilesh-Mulayam duet
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress