Bimal Gurung to be back as GTA chief, to take oath on Dec 26
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
After a meeting with West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Gorkha Janmukti Morcha supremo Bimal Gurung on Friday said he would take oath as the chief executive of the hill council in Darjeeling again at her request.
"We had a very good discussion. The Chief Minister has requested me to come back as GTA chief. GTA is my dream and it is also the dream of the Chief Minister," Gurung told reporters after a 20 minute meeting with Banerjee.
"I will take oath as the GTA chief executive at Raj Bhavan on December 26," he said.
Members of GTA Sabha had passed an unanimous resolution seeking Gurung's reinstatement as the GTA chief on December 16.
Gurung had resigned as chief executive of the hill council, Gorkhaland Territorial Administration (GTA) in July just prior to the agitation in the hills for a separate Gorkhaland, following the Centre's decision to create Telangana.
To a question, he said "We are now concentrating how to make the GTA more effective and the Gorkhaland issue was not a point of discussion during the meeting.
"There is complete peace in Darjeeling and we request tourists to visit the hills more and more as the climate is very good now. There was snowfall in Darjeeling yesterday," Gurung said.
On the strained relations between the GJM and the state government time and again, he said "In a family there is a mother, a sister and other children.
"So problems crop up, but are sorted out. The problems can be resolved through discussions and you (the media) please should not create a hindrance."
On the release of jailed GJM leaders, Gurung said "There was a good discussion. When there is a good discussion, we can expect a good result. We hope that within two or three days a solution to the problem would be found."
- LIVE: Arvind Kejriwal targets Reliance Industries
- My heart bleeds to see what is happening in the House: ManmohanÂ Singh
- Sonia named Chairperson of Congress Campaign panel for LS polls, Rahul ViceÂ Chairman
- US free to interact with Modi, but must apply standards consistent with its policy on human rights:Â Khurshid