Bishan Singh Bedi to take on Arun Jaitley for DDCA top post
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR field, Southee makes his IPL debut against CSK
Former India captain Bishan Singh Bedi on Monday announced his candidature against Arun Jaitley for the post of the Delhi & Districts Cricket Association (DDCA) president in the upcoming association elections scheduled for December 30.
"Yes, I have decided to contest for the president's post in the upcoming DDCA elections. It's time that one stands up and protests against the manner in which the association is being run," 67-year-old Bedi told PTI while confirming the news of his candidature.
Asked as to what prompted him to fight the elections, Bedi was prompt in his reply, "Don't you guys see what kind of financial bungling has happened in the state association over the years?
"You know that SFIO (Serious Frauds and Investigations Office) has been carrying out a probe against DDCA for financial irregularities. That's one of the primary reasons for me being ready to contest the elections," Bedi stated.
Apart from the administrative reasons, the cricketing reasons are also there which include 40 players being selected in the Delhi A (U-25) team that took part in the CK Nayudu Trophy, the decision of the senior team to play their matches at the Roshanara ground instead of Feroze Shah Kotla as well as playing rookie Haryana pacer Navdeep Saini in the Delhi senior team in the Ranji match against Vidarbha that concluded on Monday.
In fact Bedi had written a protest letter to Jaitley about Roshanara being the venue for Ranji matches as well as questioned Navdeep's selection as he is from Karnal (Haryana) and has not played any cricket in Delhi or NCR.
When Bedi was told that skipper Gautam Gambhir and most of the Delhi players want to play at Roshanara where they have got 13 points from two games, Bedi said that it's not the players alone who were involved in this pressure tactic.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Gandhi continues to target Narendra Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'