BJP asks Guv to dissolve Jharkhand Assembly immediately
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
BJP on Thursday urged Jharkhand Governor Syed Ahmed, who has recommended placing the Assembly in suspended animation, to dissolve the House to pave way for a mid-term poll in the state.
Outgoing Chief Minister Arjun Munda had recommended dissolution of the House following a cabinet decision to the effect before tendering his resignation to the Governor on January 8 after JMM withdrew support.
Handing over a memorandum to the governor at the Raj Bhavan, the BJP delegation led by its state unit chief Dineshanand Goswami told Ahmed that any delay in dissolving the House could lead to horse trading, which Jharkhand was 'infamous' for.
The Union Cabinet meeting today will consider the Governor's report recommending suspended animation of the Assembly against the backdrop of reluctance of major political parties to form a government in the present juncture given the delicate numbers in the Assembly.
In the 82-member state Assembly, BJP and JMM have 18 members each. The Munda government had the support of six members of Ajsu Party, two of JD (U), two Independents and one nominated member who has voting right in a trial of strength.
Opposition Congress has a total of 13 members, Jharkhand Vikas Morcha(P) 11 and RJD 5. CPI-ML(L), Marxist Coordination Party, Jharkhand Party (Ekka), Jharkhand Janadhikar Manch and Jai Bharat Samta Party have one member each besides an Independent.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today