BJP declares Handia by-poll candidate
- Army used 'chilly grenades' to catch Pakistani militant Sajjad Ahmed
- IPL Governing Council proposes two new teams to replace CSK, RR
- Central govt announces 98 Smart Cities, Naidu terms them 'safe investments for pvt firms'
- Sheena Bora murder: Police meet Mikhail Bora; five-day transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna
- ISRO launches rocket carrying GSAT-6 from Sriharikota
LUCKNOW: The Bharatiya Janata Party on Saturday declared Vidyakant Tiwari alias Sanwre as its candidate for Handia Assembly by-election. Tiwari had contested elections on the same seat in 2012 and had stood sixth, securing only 1.52 per cent of total polled valid votes. His security deposit was forfeited. The by-election to the Handia constituency in Allahabad district was caused due to the death of Mahesh Narain Singh, Samajwadi Party (SP) MLA, in February. SP has given ticket to Mahesh's son Prashant Kumar Singh who filed his nomination papers on Saturday. The last date of filling nomination papers is May 15.
Party declares new chief for Yuva Morcha