BJP fields 2012 loser for bypoll
- Uphaar fire: Ansal brothers walk free, SC rules Rs 60-cr fine adequate
- Bihar battle: Nitish shares dais with Kejriwal, calls Modi desperate
- Suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt sacked, says decision came after 'sham inquiry'
- Students tortured me using interrogation techniques: FTII director
- ACB chief Meena 'not acting in accordance with law': Delhi govt to HC
In his first decision regarding party affairs in his home state after his unanimous election as BJP national president, Rajnath Singh on Friday gave his consent to the selection of Rajkumar Shahi as party candidate for Bhatpar Rani Assembly by-election, which has been caused by the death of Sports Minister Kameshwar Upadhyay.
Shahi had contested the general election in 2012 as BJP nominee and secured fourth spot with 11,353 votes. His security deposit was also forfeited. State BJP president Laxmikant Bajpai announced Shahi's candidature after consultation with Rajnath Singh and national general secretary (organisation) Ramlal. The by-election is scheduled for February 23.