BJP lines up protests against ‘inadequate’ SAP of sugarcane

Laxmikant

The BJP has decided to stage dharnas at deputy cane commissioners' offices to protest against the "inadequate" state advised price (SAP) of sugarcane declared by the Uttar Pradesh government.

Starting from west UP, the party will stage dharna in Saharanpur on December 13, Muzaffarnagar on December 14 and Shamli on December 15.

The government has fixed sugarcane's SAP at Rs 290 per quintal, while the BJP wants it to be Rs 426.

The party will hold corner meetings in markets across the state from December 25, the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee, till January 10, to oppose FDI in retail and SAP of sugarcane as "anti-farmer".

State BJP president Laxmikant Bajpai on Tuesday alleged that Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav deliberately did not declare the SAP in the Assembly to avoid questions from the opposition. He said the Samajwadi Party, in its election manifesto, had promised to constitute a commission to calculate the production cost of agricultural produce like sugarcane, but it had not done so.

However, the BJP had deputed two teams to work out the cost of production of sugarcane in UP. "Adding 50 per cent to the production cost, the average SAP should be Rs 426 per quintal," Bajpai said.

Bajpai said the BJP will protest in Lucknow on December 18, when the CM will distribute cheques to beneficiaries of 'Hamari beti-uska kal' scheme, which is meant for girls from minority communities. "The SP government is concerned only about minority community girls, which is 15 per cent. It is not concerned about the other 85 per cent, comprising backwards, dalits and general category girls," he said.

Please read our terms of use before posting comments
TERMS OF USE: The views, opinions and comments posted are your, and are not endorsed by this website. You shall be solely responsible for the comment posted here. The website reserves the right to delete, reject, or otherwise remove any views, opinions and comments posted or part thereof. You shall ensure that the comment is not inflammatory, abusive, derogatory, defamatory &/or obscene, or contain pornographic matter and/or does not constitute hate mail, or violate privacy of any person (s) or breach confidentiality or otherwise is illegal, immoral or contrary to public policy. Nor should it contain anything infringing copyright &/or intellectual property rights of any person(s).
comments powered by Disqus