BJP may support reservation in promotion for SC/ST bill
- After arrest, Jitender Singh Tomar resigns as Delhi Law Minister
- Army begins operation near Myanmar border, kills militants involved in Manipur ambush
- Joint CP Mukesh Kumar Meena hits back, says he took charge at ACB under L-G's orders
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi accuses PM Modi of 'U-turns, falsehoods'
- UP minister booked for burning journalist to death over Facebook post
BJP today indicated that it is likely to support the reservation in promotion for SC/ST bill with some amendments, saying it favours all measures for social justice provided they are within constitutional parameters.
"There seem to be a lot of hurdles in the passage of the reservation in promotion for SC/ST bill. BJP is in favour of social justice for SC/ST but within constitutional parameters," BJP Deputy Leader in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters.
The party also referred to the Supreme Court ruling on the issue.
"BJP is fully supportive of this measure subject to constitutional parameters," he said, when asked if the party will support the bill in Parliament.
But sources said the party wants certain provisions in the Bill to be changed and has also discussed them with BSP, which is spearheading the campaign to get it passed, and other parties.
The main Opposition also made a veiled attack on the government for not being able to bring SP and BSP to an agreement on the proposed legislation.
"We would like to know from the government that if for Walmart and FDI you could get direct or indirect support from SP and BSP, why can't you find consensus between the two parties on reservation in promotion," Prasad said.
The main Opposition alluded to the government, SP and BSP not being keen on getting the bill passed.
"Is there some shadow boxing going on here between these parties. Government should clarify," Prasad said.