BJP mounts pressure on govt over statehood for Telangana
- The gongs of Behmai: 35 years on, will justice be served?
- Mann Ki Baat: Start-up India to crop insurance, here's all that Modi said
- J-K crisis: Mehbooba to chair PDP meet, discuss govt formation
- MCD strike: Kejriwal supports demands of protesting employees
- Fifth Column: Hope PM Modi has realised that India is not Gujarat
The BJP on Sunday mounted pressure on the government on Telangana statehood. Party president Rajnath Singh asserted that the BJP will grant statehood to Telangana when it comes to power.
"It is the BJP's firm conviction that the day we come to power at the Centre, we will create Telangana," Singh told reporters after attending the BJP's SC Morcha National Executive meeting at party headquarters on Sunday.
Though Singh's remarks are a reiteration of his party's position, it holds significance in the wake of the pressure on the Congress to grant Telangana statehood. The BJP will extend its support to the demand in the forthcoming Monsoon Session of Parliament.
- The problem in Arunachal is as much about politics as about institutional norms
- The public university is becoming insecure, narrow-minded and conservative
- Building on the Jan Dhan framework, India should move from price to income support
- Haryana panchayat poll outcome does not reflect the state’s social composition
- India’s education system is terribly out of step with the times
- China is not India’s sibling, nor is China India’s nemesis