BJP mounts pressure on govt over statehood for Telangana
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
The BJP on Sunday mounted pressure on the government on Telangana statehood. Party president Rajnath Singh asserted that the BJP will grant statehood to Telangana when it comes to power.
"It is the BJP's firm conviction that the day we come to power at the Centre, we will create Telangana," Singh told reporters after attending the BJP's SC Morcha National Executive meeting at party headquarters on Sunday.
Though Singh's remarks are a reiteration of his party's position, it holds significance in the wake of the pressure on the Congress to grant Telangana statehood. The BJP will extend its support to the demand in the forthcoming Monsoon Session of Parliament.
Top BJP parliamentary party leaders, in this context, are slated to meet on August 4 on the eve of the Monsoon Session to chalk out a floor strategy on various issues. "Issues like Bangladesh Land Boundary Agreement and the government's move to liberalise FDI in insurance are some of the issues that the party will apply its mind to on August 4. The party otherwise plans to raise Uttarakhand tragedy, alleged misuse of CBI in the wake of Ishrat Jahan case, and current economic downturn," said a top BJP leader.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today