BJP mounts pressure on govt over statehood for Telangana
- PM Narendra Modi in Mongolia for second leg of three-nation tour
- Shakuntala Gamlin takes charge as Delhi Chief Secretary defying CM Kejriwal's request
- Egypt's ousted president Mohammed Morsi sentenced to death
- Airtel secures USD 2.5 billion Chinese financing deals
- KEM hospital nurse, Aruna Shanbaug continues to be in critical condition
The BJP on Sunday mounted pressure on the government on Telangana statehood. Party president Rajnath Singh asserted that the BJP will grant statehood to Telangana when it comes to power.
"It is the BJP's firm conviction that the day we come to power at the Centre, we will create Telangana," Singh told reporters after attending the BJP's SC Morcha National Executive meeting at party headquarters on Sunday.
Though Singh's remarks are a reiteration of his party's position, it holds significance in the wake of the pressure on the Congress to grant Telangana statehood. The BJP will extend its support to the demand in the forthcoming Monsoon Session of Parliament.
Top BJP parliamentary party leaders, in this context, are slated to meet on August 4 on the eve of the Monsoon Session to chalk out a floor strategy on various issues. "Issues like Bangladesh Land Boundary Agreement and the government's move to liberalise FDI in insurance are some of the issues that the party will apply its mind to on August 4. The party otherwise plans to raise Uttarakhand tragedy, alleged misuse of CBI in the wake of Ishrat Jahan case, and current economic downturn," said a top BJP leader.