BJP MP comes under attack for rape remark
- Putin gets Russia Senate nod to use military in Ukraine
- Assam woman who attended Rahul event dies of burn injuries, police say she's not the one who kissed him
- Aam Aadmi Party releases third list of candidates for Lok Sabha polls
- Varanasi: Rahul woos rickshawpullers, promises better livelihood
- State Forest Dept guest house is police custody for Sahara chief Subrata Roy
A BJP MP from Chhattisgarh landed himself in a controversy over his remark that the rape of grown-up girls and women might be understandable but a sexual assault on an infant is a heinous crime.
Political parties slammed Ramesh Bais for his remark. While the BJP said the age of the victim is of no importance, the Congress condemned it as unfortunate.
Bais said those who commit heinous crime like rape of a minor should be hanged. "Barabari ya bade logo ke sath balatkar samajh me ata hai, lekin nabalik bachhiyo ke sath is tarah ka jaghanya apradh karma. Inko to fasi par latka dena chahiye. (The rape of grown-up girls and women might be understandable but if someone does this to an infant, it is a heinous crime and the offenders should be hanged)," he told reporters in Raipur.
Bais made the remarks on Wednesday while referring to the rape case involving minor inmates of a government-run residential school in Kanker district of Chhattisgarh. This incident of sexual assault came to light last Sunday.
Asaram camp at Kumbh vandalised
ALLAHABAD: A camp set up at Kumbh Mela ground for Asaram Bapu's discourse was vandalised on Wednesday while several outfits have opposed his proposed visit. The self-styled godman has drawn flak for his recent remarks on the Delhi gangrape victim at the religious congregation here.