BJP reinforces hold over post of Oppn leader
- Matter is serious, will take action against Bhagwat Mann: Speaker
- Hooliganism going on in name of gau raksha: Gujarat Chief Secretary
- Adarsh Society case: SC stays demolition, asks Defence Ministry to 'secure' building
- SC to hear plea seeking Governor's rule in Jammu and Kashmir
- ED slaps money laundering case against former Haryana CM BS Hooda
The defeat of Anil Parab, one of the two Shiv Sena nominees in Thursday's Legislative Council polls and the victory of ally BJP's two nominees has reinforced the latter's hold over the post of the Leader of the Opposition in the upper house of the state legislature.
So far, the Shiv Sena had been staking claim to the post, now held by Pandurang Phundkar of the BJP, arguing it had nine MLCs as compared to the BJP's eight.
The BJP, on the other hand, said it had the right to the post as they had the support of three Independent MLCs, Gurmukh Jagwani, Ramnath Mote and Bhagwanrao Salunkhe.
The Sena had three vacancies in the upper house with the terms of Parab and Diwakar Raote — he was re-elected on Thursday — coming to an end and Suresh Jethaliya being elected to the Assembly.
The BJP had one vacancy, left behind by Prakash Shendge after his election to the Assembly.