Equating with Rizwanur, BJP tries to fulfil Amirul's final wish to persecute the policemen responsible for his death
- Not RSSâs job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits: Bhagwat
- Malaysia Airlines flight case: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
- DMK has room for Raja, Baalu, not for Alagiri
Taking a cue from what the Trinamool Congress did after the murder of computer graphics trainer Rizwanur Rahman, the BJP has been quick to take up the death of 33-year-old Mir Amirul Islam, who committed suicide alleging police atrocities after he came out in support of a rape victim.
The state unit of the BJP on Thursday held demonstration in front of Karaya police station, where Amirul tried to immolate himself, demanding severe punishment to police personnel named by Amirul.
"We want exemplary punishment for the police officers who had been responsible for the death of Amirul. This case is very similar to that of Rizwanur's and thus just in that case, police officers — from a lower rank to the top brass — were punished, those responsible in this case, should also face similar music," said state BJP president Rahul Sinha.
A five-member delegation of the party met the officer-incharge of Karaya police station and handed him a petition. "We are not going to stop here. If this doesn't work, we will hit the roads and go for a greater movement till justice prevails. We don't think this offence is limited to only the low rank police officials," he said.
Meanwhile, friends and well-wishers of Amirul have decided to carry on with the protest and demand justice. "In a very non-violent manner, we will put up our protests till the officers in question, who had falsely implicated Amirul, are booked," said Mohd Naushad Hussain, lawyer. He said they would take out processions, put up road blockades and go on hunger strike.
Anwar, Amirul's brother, said that in a letter before committing suicide Amirul had asked everyone to protest till the accused policemen are persecuted. "We will do whatever we can till to see my brother's last wish fulfilled."
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress