BJP set to anoint Modi as PM candidate today, talks on to get Advani on board
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
BJP president Rajnath Singh is believed to have made up his mind to hold a meeting of the party's parliamentary board Friday and announce Narendra Modi as the BJP's 2014 prime ministerial candidate despite failing to get veteran leader L K Advani on board.
Singh is learnt to have arrived at the decision after a late night meeting Thursday with RSS number two Bhaiyyaji Joshi at the RSS office Keshav Kunj in the capital.
However, efforts were still being made to soften Advani and party leaders were banking on former BJP president Nitin Gadkari to convince him. Gadkari met Advani late Thursday night, sources said.
Singh's office said the parliamentary board meeting had been called at 5 pm Friday. But Advani's office said it had not received any such communication.
Singh, they said, apprised the RSS bosses about his discussions within the party following two days of talks between the BJP and the RSS that ended Monday. Singh had held talks with Advani and separately with senior leader Murli Manohar Joshi on Wednesday. On Thursday, he met leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj.
Advani, Joshi and Swaraj are against Modi being named the party's PM candidate before the crucial assembly elections in Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Delhi later this year.
Singh's talks with these leaders were an attempt to show the RSS leadership that he had tried his best to get them to back the announcement and to avoid being accused of working unilaterally, an allegation that was made after he declared Modi the party's chief campaigner for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls at the party's national executive meeting in Goa in June.
- LIVE: Arvind Kejriwal targets Reliance Industries
- My heart bleeds to see what is happening in the House: ManmohanÂ Singh
- Sonia named Chairperson of Congress Campaign panel for LS polls, Rahul ViceÂ Chairman
- US free to interact with Modi, but must apply standards consistent with its policy on human rights:Â Khurshid