BJP set to anoint Modi as PM candidate today, talks on to get Advani on board
- Lok Sabha elections: First phase of polling ends, Assam records 72 pc voting, Tripura 80 pc
- BJP manifesto pledges good governance, talks of constructing Ram Temple, abrogating Article 370
- Possible signals from lost jet's black boxes heard
- Revenge remark: EC issues notice to Amit Shah
- Elections 2014 LIVE: BJP has made Advani "small leader", says Rahul Gandhi
BJP president Rajnath Singh is believed to have made up his mind to hold a meeting of the party's parliamentary board Friday and announce Narendra Modi as the BJP's 2014 prime ministerial candidate despite failing to get veteran leader L K Advani on board.
Singh is learnt to have arrived at the decision after a late night meeting Thursday with RSS number two Bhaiyyaji Joshi at the RSS office Keshav Kunj in the capital.
However, efforts were still being made to soften Advani and party leaders were banking on former BJP president Nitin Gadkari to convince him. Gadkari met Advani late Thursday night, sources said.
Singh's office said the parliamentary board meeting had been called at 5 pm Friday. But Advani's office said it had not received any such communication.
Singh, they said, apprised the RSS bosses about his discussions within the party following two days of talks between the BJP and the RSS that ended Monday. Singh had held talks with Advani and separately with senior leader Murli Manohar Joshi on Wednesday. On Thursday, he met leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj.
Advani, Joshi and Swaraj are against Modi being named the party's PM candidate before the crucial assembly elections in Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Delhi later this year.
Singh's talks with these leaders were an attempt to show the RSS leadership that he had tried his best to get them to back the announcement and to avoid being accused of working unilaterally, an allegation that was made after he declared Modi the party's chief campaigner for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls at the party's national executive meeting in Goa in June.
- Ukraine says Russia fomenting eastern unrest
- Liquor worth Rs 4.85 cr seized in MP ahead of LS polls
- Man held with foreign currency worth Rs 38 lakh at airport
- Candidates steering towards auto unions to rev up support
- ‘Will send builders of illegal structures to jail’
- To root out corruption, vote for change and give the new face a chance, says Bains