BJP slams SP ‘ploy to divert focus from real issues’
- LIVE Brussels: One dead, several injured after two explosions at Belgium's Zaventem airport
- Meeting with PM Modi 'very positive', says PDP leader Mehbooba Mufti
- University of Hyderabad students attack VC Appa Rao's house, smash furniture
- JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar meets Rahul Gandhi
- Rift with RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan? Here's what Jaitley has to say
The BJP today attacked the state government saying that the quasquicentennial celebrations of the legislature was only a Samajwadi Party function organised only to divert people's attention from the genuine issues like deteriorating law and order, crippled electricity supply and deaths of people because of cold in the state.
Talking to reporters, BJP state president Laxmikant Bajpai said instead of helping the poor dying of cold and strengthening the law and order, the whole government and bureaucracy was involved in organising the function.
Bajpai said the Legislative Council appointed in 1887 was neither a Legislative Assembly nor a constitutional house and it was just a consultative committee appointed by the British governor. He asked why the SP, which had boycotted the 116-year celebrations of state legislature held in Allahabad in 2003 by then Assembly speaker Keshari Nath Tripathi, was celebrating 125 years of the same institution.
'Criminal' wanted in Bihar held in Lucknow
- Veterans of the Assam Movement now fight polls. But the bitterness and the issues linger on
- When Bhagat Singh’s clarion call ‘Inquilab Zindabad’, it was voluntarily accepted
- Delhi needs an authority suitably empowered and responsible for safe drinking water
- Clutching at Kanhaiya
- In Bangladesh’s diminishing democratic space, a prominent editor is at the receiving end
- Supreme Court has the opportunity to enforce the true Islamic law on divorce