BJP sold Karnataka to Reddy brothers: Rahul
- Elections 2014 LIVE: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra continues to target Modi, rakes up snoopgate issue
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs RR: RR strike at regular intervals against CSK in IPL 7
In what is arguably his most scathing attack on the Opposition for stalling Parliament on the issue of corruption, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday accused the BJP of selling the interest of Karnataka in exchange for money from Bellary's Reddy brothers.
Addressing a rally at Mandya, the sugar bowl of Karnataka, Rahul launched a blistering attack on the BJP, saying the ruling party in the state used Reddy brothers' money to build a "corrupt Vidhan Sabha". He was here to campaign for party candidate M H Ambareesh who has been on a sticky wicket due to dissension in the party.
Former chief minister S M Krishna's nominee Atmanand had been denied ticket in favour of Ambareesh who lost the past two Assembly polls. Krishna, who had refrained from campaigning in Mandya, was Wednesday persuaded to accompany Rahul but it was an uneasy truce with Krishna and Ambareesh not even shaking hands. Immediately after Rahul raised hands of unity with Ambareesh on the left and Krishna on the right, Ambareesh left the dais only to return after the speeches were over.
Addressing an impressive gathering, Rahul said there is a lot of natural resources, including iron ore reserves, in the state but this wealth belongs to the people, and not to any individual. It was supposed to be used to build the future of youth in the state. "But what has happened in the last nine years? This wealth has been given to a single family. In order to come to power, the BJP needed the support of these brothers. 40 MLAs were given to these brothers in exchange for the money that they gave to the BJP. And where did they get the money? From your resources. The BJP used the money to build Vidhan Sabha," Rahul said.
- Lalu Prasad hits out at BJP and VHP, says its leaders Giriraj Singh, Praveen Togadia are 'hate mongering'
- Gujarat model a big lie, BJP should clarify: Akhilesh
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- 2,700 more Muzaffarnagar riots victims apply for relief
- Shazia Ilmi's 'communal muslims' remark: BJP hits out at Aam Aadmi Party
- Battle of Varanasi: Kejriwal tears into Rahul, Modi over 'helicopter democracy'