BKU workers occupy Noida toll plaza, demand DND be toll-free
- Winter session Day 1: Govt talks about misuse of word 'secularism', Sonia raises 'intolerance' debate
- Sheena murder: CBI seeks Interpol help, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till Nov 30
- PPCC chief Bajwa and Jakhar made to resign as rejig in Punjab Congress imminent
- Constitution Day: The many reasons why the BJP decided to celebrate it
- India-Pakistan series to be played from December 15 in Sri Lanka: Rajiv Shukla
Around 100 BKU members forcefully occupied Noida toll plaza of DND Flyway today and allowed vehicles to ply without paying toll for around half an hour to protest levy of toll on users of the flyway.
The protestors vacated the toll plaza after administration and DND (Delhi-Noida-Delhi) management urged them to end their demonstration and participate in discussions on the issue.
Bhartiya Kisan Union leader Rakesh Tikait told reporters at the site, "DND management has been charging the toll rates arbitrarily and has recently increased the toll rates. Cost has been recovered by the management, but still toll fee is
"It is a public road and it should be made toll free. We have given memorandum to UP Chief Minister to make DND toll free. We have told the DND management to show the copy of their agreement," he said.
DND management claimed as per the concession agreement with Noida Authority, toll collection period was 30 years.
It was made operational in 2001.
Regarding hike in toll rates, as per state rules for such expressways, 10 per cent annual hike is permitted.
- Why every patriot should be worried, and, yes, ashamed
- Douglass North emphasised institutions when markets were the focus
- ‘Bovine Divine’ controversy lurched between the horrific and the comic
- PM Modi’s achievements abroad appear to cut little ice back home
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?