Blast in school, no casualties
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
A low-intensity blast took place at Chanakya school premises in Naroda area Friday morning.
No casualties, however, were reported.
"Firecrackers inside an old toilet near the school premises blew up, resulting in a big blast and loud sound," said senior police inspector M A Vala of Naroda police station who visited the spot.
After the school authorities raised an alarm, around 1,100 students and 40 teachers were evacuated and shifted to a nearby building while school premises were shut down.
"Fearing injury to students, we shut the school for the day and cancelled the afternoon shift," said Bhagwanji Vasnani, trustee of Chanakya school and Motherland International school.
Officials from state's Intelligence Bureau (IB) and forensic science laboratory also visited the spot and are investigating as to what led to the blast.