Blast in school, no casualties
- India will set climate change conference agenda: Narendra Modi
- From Kerala family to ex-gangster, Islamic State pulls Maldives men
- Collegium system end: NJAC is in, judges lose say in hiring
- BJP-RSS set to demolish secular democratic foundations: CPI(M)
- Ahmedabad: Saffron uniform for Hindu kids, green for Muslim
A low-intensity blast took place at Chanakya school premises in Naroda area Friday morning.
No casualties, however, were reported.
"Firecrackers inside an old toilet near the school premises blew up, resulting in a big blast and loud sound," said senior police inspector M A Vala of Naroda police station who visited the spot.
After the school authorities raised an alarm, around 1,100 students and 40 teachers were evacuated and shifted to a nearby building while school premises were shut down.
"Fearing injury to students, we shut the school for the day and cancelled the afternoon shift," said Bhagwanji Vasnani, trustee of Chanakya school and Motherland International school.
Officials from state's Intelligence Bureau (IB) and forensic science laboratory also visited the spot and are investigating as to what led to the blast.