Blast in school, no casualties
- What signal is Obama administration sending by selling more F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan?
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurates 'Make in India Week' in Mumbai
- JNU student leader held on ‘sedition’ charges over Afzal Guru event
- JNU arrests over Afzal Guru event are ill-judged, threatens basic rights
- Live updates from the David Headley deposition before Mumbai court
A low-intensity blast took place at Chanakya school premises in Naroda area Friday morning.
No casualties, however, were reported.
"Firecrackers inside an old toilet near the school premises blew up, resulting in a big blast and loud sound," said senior police inspector M A Vala of Naroda police station who visited the spot.
After the school authorities raised an alarm, around 1,100 students and 40 teachers were evacuated and shifted to a nearby building while school premises were shut down.
"Fearing injury to students, we shut the school for the day and cancelled the afternoon shift," said Bhagwanji Vasnani, trustee of Chanakya school and Motherland International school.