Blast near Afghan base kills 3
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Amnesty welcomes SC verdict on transgender
- If Modi loses in Varanasi, no one will make him PM: Arvind Kejriwal
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
A suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden car near a NATO base in southern Afghanistan Thursday soon after a visit by US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta, killing three, including a US soldier, and wounding 16, Afghan and NATO officials said.
His spokesman said there was no indication Panetta was the target. Panetta had visited Kandahar Air Base just hours before the attack, meeting US troops before the Christmas holiday. "The attack occurred after the Secretary returned to Kabul," George Little said.
Three foreign soldiers were among the wounded.