Blind cricketer accidentally drinks phenyl, hospitalised
- 'Design in India' as essential as 'Make in India': PM Narendra Modi
- No deal over GST Bill and removal of Raje, Swaraj: Congress
- Lalit Modi offered directorship to Swaraj's husband, withdrew it later: Indofil
- Greece offers conditional okay to bailout, Germany sceptical
- UK Food Standards Agency finds made-in-India Maggi safe to eat
Zeeshan Abbasi, the captain of the Pakistan cricket team participating in the ongoing T20 World Cup for the Blind in Bangalore, was briefly hospitalised on Saturday after he accidentally drank from a bottle containing a mixture of phenyl and water at a dining room at the team hotel.
"Abbasi, who is partially blind, accidentally sipped diluted phenyl from a plastic bottle kept in the place where mineral water was usually kept, during breakfast in the morning,'' the organisers of the maiden T20 World Cup for the Blind said in a statement.
The incident occurred when the house-keeping staff at the hotel was cleaning the dining room and Abbasi, who spat out the liquid he had ingested, was rushed to hospital as a precaution.
Dr Naresh Shetty of the MS Ramaiah Memorial Hospital, where Abbasi was treated, said he had a sore throat and as a precautionary measure, an endoscopy was done "to rule out any gastric erosion''. All clinical examinations reported him to be normal and Abbasi was discharged after he was briefly kept under observation, organizers of the tournament said.
The Cricket Association for the Blind in India said in a statement that Abbasi has fully recovered and returned to the hotel where the team is lodged. "The Movenpick hotel management has expressed regret over the unfortunate incident,' the CABI said.
President of the World Cricket Blind Council and Chairman, Pakistan Cricket Blind Council (PCBC) Syed Sultan Shah in an official statement said the PCBC was satisfied with the investigation.
The PCBC also stated that Abbasi is fit to play Pakistan's game on Sunday against Sri Lanka.