Bloc demands fresh probe into Dinhata firing
- RJD splits as 13 MLAs desert Lalu Prasad for Nitish Kumar, but six âreturnâ
- No death penalty for Italian marines, Centre tells Supreme Court
- Rahul targets Modi for divisive politics
- Rajiv Gandhi assassination case: SC to hear Centre's plea on restraining TN govt from releasing convicts
- Leopard on the loose in Meerut, officials order closure of schools and colleges
Cooch Behar: Left Front constituent Forward Bloc on Tuesday demanded that the Trinamool Congress government conduct a fresh probe into the police firing that left five of its supporters dead at Dinhata in the district in 2008 during the LF regime. Senior Bloc leader Udayan Guha raised the demand at a Martyrs' Day programme at Dinhata, claiming that the commission of inquiry which was set up then was done "to protect a few persons responsible for the firing". Guha, however, said he did not believe that the then chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee had ordered the firing. The Justice N C Sil Commission, which probed the police firing, had justified the police action in which five Bloc supporters and one NVF personnel were killed.
Slum dweller shot as rival groups clash
Kolkata: Two rival groups clashed in a slum in Dum Dum leaving one dweller dead on late Monday night. Gora Das, was taken to R G Kar Hospital where he died. After the incident, angry locals blocked the roads. The blockade was lifted after they were assured by police that action will be taken against the perpetrators within 24 hours.
Suspended teachers approach rights panel
KOLKATA: The three professors of Mili Al Amin College, who were suspended by the governing body of the institute, approached the state Human Rights Commission against the teacher incharge Sabina Misat Omar who allegedly assaulted them when they tried to protest against her decision to appoint some of her favourite teachers in school. The commission has asked the state government to take action against the accused and place a report within 14 days.
- IIT prof ‘hyped’ cell radiation, daughter sold protective shields
- Harsh Vardhan missing at lunch hosted by Goel
- 2 asphyxiated in Noida manhole, another rescued
- IM planned to break ISI shackles, ally with al-Qaeda, Pak Taliban: chargesheet
- Engineer assaulted, Bharti joins protesters outside MCD office
- Leopard injures seven, Meerut locks itself in