Blood is offered, by doting Rahul Gandhi brigade, for him
- Congress says Togadia spreading venom; EC seeks recording of alleged hate speech
- Akhilesh Yadav tears into Narendra Modi bastion on maiden visit to Gujarat, says third front ready to govern
- Proponents of Article 370 should say how it has helped J&K: Rajnath Singh
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, CSK vs DD: CSK wreak havoc on DD with clinical bowling
Rahul Gandhi may like his appointment as Congress vice-president to be seen as the rise of youth and a harbinger of change in the party. However, at the AICC meeting on Sunday at least, it was hard to spot either.
In their speeches, Youth Congress as well as NSUI leaders showed unmistakable continuity in the culture of sycophancy in the ruling party.
Some even outmatched party veterans, promising to shed their blood to match the sweat of "desh ke yuvaon ki dhadkan (the heart-throb of the youth)" Rahul Gandhi. Others promised that for him, "jawani luta denge (sacrifice their youth)".
It was Uttar Pradesh PCC chief Nirmal Khatri, a Rahul appointee, who set the tone, exhorting Congress president Sonia Gandhi to "hand over your powers" to Rahul to ensure timely and quick decisions. Next speaker Amarinder Singh Raja, a Youth Congress leader from Punjab, followed it up saying, "A new revolution will come in the country under Rahul Gandhi."
Jammu & Kashmir Youth Congress president Mohammad Shahnawaz said Rahul's entry into politics gave youngsters an opportunity for leadership and "it happens in centuries".
"Big industrialists like Ratan Tata wouldn't go to Kashmir even for a vacation but Rahulji brought them to the university (in Srinagar). Aane wali naslen tumse rushka karengi, jab unko maloom hoga ki tumne Rahul Gandhi ko dekha hai (Coming generations will envy you when they come to know that you have seen Rahul Gandhi)," he said.
Some offers of blood, by Rahul's brigade, for him
Another Youth Congress office-bearer stated how he had responded when a mediaperson asked about a Rahul versus Narendra Modi contest: "What a comparison! Modi has no ideology or legacy!"
Indian Youth Congress president Rajiv Satav said, "We have got a new captain of the Congress in Rahulji. I thank Soniaji for handing over the reins to him. Such is our leader who does not want any power or post." Satav then went on to enumerate what all Rahul had taught them and what all they had achieved under his leadership.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota