Blood is offered, by doting Rahul Gandhi brigade, for him
- Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case: Javed Sheikh's father moves CBI court against Amit Shah, ex-DGP; wants them arraigned
- Editors slam Arvind Kejriwal for 'irresponsible' media remark
- I skipped rally because I was misled: Anna Hazare
- Goa court grants permission to Tarun Tejpal to meet his ailing mother
- Arvind Kejriwal alleges whole media is sold, backtracks later
In their speeches, Youth Congress as well as NSUI leaders showed unmistakable continuity in the culture of sycophancy in the ruling party.
Some even outmatched party veterans, promising to shed their blood to match the sweat of "desh ke yuvaon ki dhadkan (the heart-throb of the youth)" Rahul Gandhi. Others promised that for him, "jawani luta denge (sacrifice their youth)".
It was Uttar Pradesh PCC chief Nirmal Khatri, a Rahul appointee, who set the tone, exhorting Congress president Sonia Gandhi to "hand over your powers" to Rahul to ensure timely and quick decisions. Next speaker Amarinder Singh Raja, a Youth Congress leader from Punjab, followed it up saying, "A new revolution will come in the country under Rahul Gandhi."
Jammu & Kashmir Youth Congress president Mohammad Shahnawaz said Rahul's entry into politics gave youngsters an opportunity for leadership and "it happens in centuries".
"Big industrialists like Ratan Tata wouldn't go to Kashmir even for a vacation but Rahulji brought them to the university (in Srinagar). Aane wali naslen tumse rushka karengi, jab unko maloom hoga ki tumne Rahul Gandhi ko dekha hai (Coming generations will envy you when they come to know that you have seen Rahul Gandhi)," he said.
Some offers of blood, by Rahul's brigade, for him
Another Youth Congress office-bearer stated how he had responded when a mediaperson asked about a Rahul versus Narendra Modi contest: "What a comparison! Modi has no ideology or legacy!"
Indian Youth Congress president Rajiv Satav said, "We have got a new captain of the Congress in Rahulji. I thank Soniaji for handing over the reins to him. Such is our leader who does not want any power or post." Satav then went on to enumerate what all Rahul had taught them and what all they had achieved under his leadership.
NSUI chief Rohit Chowdhury elaborated how, as a middle-class person from Maharashtra, he could not have been standing in front of the august gathering at the AICC meeting but for the "transformation process brought by Rahul Gandhi". He also went on to elaborate what Rahul taught NSUI activists.
Calling Rahul a "symbol of hope", Priyavrat Singh from the Madhya Pradesh Youth Congress said, "Jahan aapka (Rahul's) paseena girega, wahan hamara khoon bahega."
Youth Congress "election commissioner" M N Swamy was all praise for the "silent revolution" brought by Rahul.
Amidst all the speeches, the Birla auditorium rang with slogans such as "Rahul Gandhi zindabad", "Rahul tum sangharsh karo, hum tumhare saath hain".
Sonia Gandhi was seen laughing whenever there were occasional slogans of "Sonia Gandhi zindabad".
- Experts to Maruti: De-list or give in to investors’ pressure
- India-born Rajeev Suri may take over as Nokia CEO
- BJP MLA gets EC clearance for movie, asks ‘critics’ to stay away
- Eyes on UP prize, Modi set for Varanasi
- SC rejects Nokia appeal over asset transfer to Microsoft
- Today is last day for enrolling as a voter: UT