BMC to renovate Khar subway
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
Awaits no-objection certificate from Western Railway
BMC will soon undertake beautification of Khar subway. The decision was made after MP Priya Dutt took up complaints of H-west ward residents with municipal commissioner Sitaram Kunte and senior roads, bridges and traffic department officials.
"We are awaiting a no-objection certificate (NOC) from Western Railway (WR) and have allotted Rs 54 lakh for the beautification," said G Aggarwal, chief engineer of the roads, bridges and traffic department.
A senior official in the department said, "Subway renovation should be undertaken by WR. However, the authorities have asked BMC to do it. So, we are seeking an NOC."
He said the beautification would involve relaying of tiled subway walls and road repairs.
Assistant municipal commissioner of H-west ward S N Dhamane said pavements and approach roads to the subway would be renovated.
"The subway and surrounding areas need attention. There is a lot of water leakage in the area," he said.
An optimistic Dhamane said the WR NOC should not take time as the work would barely affect trains.
"A big slab of concrete fell on a car passing through the subway a year ago. We have been pitching for renovation of this very dangerous subway ever since. Every day over 5,000 children travel up and down this road, but BMC and railways have been lobbing the ball in each other's court.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it