Bolsa Familia program: India to pay welfare directly, aims to end fraud
- Maoist chief admits to loss of leaders, weakening base, asks cadres to open fronts
- Group of Ministers back, in ‘informal’ avatar
- Congress seizes land in bid to reclaim lost turf, rally today
- All but official: It's Yechury vs Pillai in rare race for CPM top job
- AMU, IIT alumni’s website for Muslims hunting homes gets 1 lakh visitors
Shah said a lot more work needed to be done before cash transfers could become a reality across the country. The identification drive needed to reach the vast majority of India's poor, and villages needed banking infrastructure and Internet connectivity.
"It is going to take time and it will happen only when it happens whatever the deadline. It will be rolled out only when these conditions are in place,'' he said. But if the deadline ``pushes us to fix the lacunae that currently hamper the roll out of cash transfer, then we're in the right direction.''