Bombay Medical Congress kicks off
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
The 69th Bombay Medical Congress commenced on Saturday at INHS Asvini. Padma Vibhushan awardee Dr B K Goyal was present at the inaugural ceremony and the theme was 'Medicine in New Age - Back to the Basics'. The meet saw participants from the armed forces and the civilian community from across the country.
"Patientcare these days has become man-to-machinery contact instead of man-to-man contact. With increasing technology, treatment is losing personal touch and patients are losing faith in doctors. It is important that we go into retrospective mode to trace the roots when doctors would focus on the patients' physical as well as mental condition, instead of just medical condition," said Surgeon Vice Admiral A C Anand.
Something as basic as washing hands is often taken for granted, said Anand. "Elementary practices such as labelling medicine bottles and maintaining basic hygiene in wards are largely ignored. Many hospitals are messy and filthy and are potential sources of infection. It is essential to address these," he said.
A book, Saturday Clinics of Asvini, a compilation of challenges and experiences faced every Saturday at the Naval hospital, was released on the occasion. The event will conclude on Sunday.