Booked for murder, newly-elected Cong MLA from Himachal absconding
- HSBC Indian list just doubled to 1195 names. Balance: Rs 25420 cr
- Manjhi expelled, Nitish stakes claim to form govt in Bihar
- Hanging of Afzal Guru was 'wrong' & 'badly' handled, says Shashi Tharoor
- Have given it my all, not nervous about result: Kiran Bedi
- Japanese girl allegedly raped by tourist guide in Jaipur
One of the Himachal Congress's newly elected legislators has gone underground after being booked in a murder case just ahead of Congress Legislature Party meeting to elect Himachal's next chief minister.
Ram Kumar Chaudhary, a first-time MLA from Doon constituency in Solan district, is one of the four suspects in the murder of a 24-year-old woman in Panchkula in Haryana Nov 22.
"Police raided Ram Kumar Chaudhar's house in Sandholi and other places on Saturday but he managed to evade arrest. He and other accused have not been joining investigations for quite some time," superintendent of police S Arul said.
Arul said arrest warrants against all the four accused, booked under Section 302 of the Indian Penal Code, were issued on Friday.
The murdered woman's father Butti Ram had lodged a police complaint alleging Chaudhary was in touch with his daughter.
The Punjab and Haryana high court on Thursday directed Haryana Police to expedite the probe.
Congress leaders said Ram Kumar Chaudhary had not contacted any senior party leader and was unlikely to attend the CLP meeting in the evening.