Bookie gives Special Cell the slip, escapes
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Supreme Court grants recognition to transgenders as third category of sex
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
- Unethical, betrayal: Prime Minister Manmohan Singhâs daughter voices family anger
- Modi equates Rahul with kids, says âtoffeeâ has caught his fancy after âballoonâ
Among the bookies that the Delhi Police Special Cell had identified as being involved in the IPL spot-fixing controversy was one named Mahender. The Special Cell personnel traced his location to a hotel in the New Delhi district area on Wednesday. A team in plainclothes was sent to nab him.
According to police sources, when the team reached the hotel, they were first denied entry by the bouncers employed there. Since the Special Cell personnel were not in uniform and did not want to divulge their identities, they reportedly got into a scuffle with the bouncers.
After they finally gained entry, the police personnel asked a man in the hotel about Mahender's whereabouts. The man reportedly directed them to go further inside and walked away.
The Special Cell personnel later found out that the man himself was Mahender and had managed to escape.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties