Booth allotment: Details sought of action taken on ADC report
According to sources, the Ministry of Home Affairs letter was sent recently to the UT Administration seeking details of the action taken on the allegations mentioned in the report. Since the report had rocked Parliament last year, it was important to clear the air on the matter, said a senior official of the UT Administration.
Incidentally, the report had mentioned the name of Congress leader Pawan Kumar Bansal (now Union Minister of Railways) and the then advisor to the UT Administrator Pradip Mehra besides MC councillor Pradeep Chabra and several other officials of the UT Estate Office for their alleged involvement in wrongful allotment of booths at Krishna Market in Sector 41.
Earlier, a three-member probe committee of the UT looking into Shergill's report on the scam had initiated cancellation proceedings in seven of these allotments made in violation of terms and conditions laid down for allotment of booths at the Krishna Market, Sector 41.
The report was submitted a year after the probe panel was constituted to look into Shergill's report.
Apart from initiating cancellation proceedings and apparent criminal action against the violators, the probe panel had recommended a probe into the monthly income profile of the beneficiaries in around 30 cases before taking any further action against them. A total of 93 allotments were under the scanner.
The probe panel said the 93 allotments were made between 2003 and 2009. The screening committee, comprising assistant estate officers (AEOs) and SDMs who served during that period, met more than 13 times to verify the authenticity of the beneficiaries.
Earlier, it was alleged that the report of the then ADC Shergill was one-sided as those who were named in his 700- page report were never cross-examined.
The Scam in short
While probing the allotments made between 2002 and 2007 at the Sector 41 market, P S Shergill had created a furore when he pointed towards the involvement of top politicians and senior officials in the scam.
The report had stated that the scam ran into crores of rupees, including money paid to politicians, police officers and officials of the Estate Office. The inquiry officer had relied entirely on the complainants, Dinesh Sood and Nathu Ram.
After a fire at the Bajwara Rehri Market on May 23, 1989, the first complaint to the estate officer regarding alleged irregularities was made in May 2005. The second complaint was made in November 2005. It was alleged that the list of 119 names was changed into 171 before the draw of lots in 2007. The complainants issued a legal notice to the estate officer in February 2010. The ADC submitted the inquiry report to the DC on February 24, 2011. The administration ordered a thorough probe after it was found that the inquiry had been allegedly conducted in a one-sided manner.
- BJP projected to sweep Gujarat, Rajasthan, Karnataka; Congress to get big jolt in Maharashtra
- Editors body slams Arvind Kejriwal for ‘irresponsible’ media remark, says it is a sign of ‘weakness’
- Trouble in alliance with Congress, TRS turns to BJP
- Minority panel removed my riot report against Modi: Ex-Secy