Boris Becker appointed Novak Djokovic's head coach
- Not RSSâ job to chant âNamo, Namoâ, canât cross limits for BJP: Mohan Bhagwat
- Missing Malaysia Airlines: âFakeâ passports mystery deepens
- Mocking Nitishâs âPM hopesâ, Modi woos Muslims, Yadavs
- Arvind Kejriwal accused of influencing TV interview
- Dalit teen canât pay to cheat in exam, immolates himself
World number two Novak Djokovic has appointed six-time grand slam winner Boris Becker as his head coach, the Serbian announced on Wednesday.
"I am really excited to have the opportunity to work with Boris," the 26-year-old Djokovic said in a statement on his website (www.novakdjokovic.com).
"He is a true legend, someone who has great tennis knowledge and his experience will help me win new trophies from the grand slams and other tournaments. Becker is a great person, too, and I am sure he will fit in our team in the best possible way."
Becker, 46, will replace Djokovic's long-time coach Marian Vajda although the Slovakian will remain part of the team.
He will travel with Djokovic to all four grand slam tournaments, starting with the forthcoming Australian Open, as well as a number of other major events.
German Becker was the youngest winner of Wimbledon at 17 and won 64 ATP titles in total.
Djokovic lost the number one ranking to Spain's Rafa Nadal in October despite having another strong year.
He finished the season by winning the ATP World Tour Finals in London and has targetted adding to his six grand slam titles next season.
"My goal for 2014 is to play my best tennis and to get in shape for the Grand Slams and Masters 1000," Djokovic said.
"These tournaments have the most weight in our sport, and I want to prove my worth at them. The team is now strengthened and we hope for maximum results."
Djokovic's announcement means Becker and former world No.1 Ivan Lendl, coach to Wimbledon champion Andy Murray, will be back in competition, albeit in the safety of the players' boxes.
- Eight held for ‘attacking’ Dalit wedding procession in Sabarkantha
- 90 airports on alert to check movement of cash ahead of elections
- Notices to 23 hospitals for withdrawing facility
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- In Mumbai, teacher’s love story with student ends in her arrest
- Govt dismisses AAP allegations
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- Kejriwal Gujarat tour: The unfamiliar politician | The Indian Express