- Day after Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi, Amit Shah condemns politics over surgical strikes
- Prohibition to stay in Bihar: SC stays Patna HC judgment setting aside liquor ban
- US says does not support declaring Pakistan a 'terrorist state'
- Talk on stage at Parrikar event: 200 killed, atom bomb vs atom bomb
- Hurricane Matthew: Haiti death toll rises to 339, deadly storm hits Florida
Nitin Gadkari's obsession with business initiatives in new energy areas does not seem to have diminished a bit, even amidst the existential crisis he is facing as BJP's party president. Unfazed with the controversy surrounding some of his business operations, Gadkari, who loves talking about the potential of ethanol produced from byproducts of the sugar industry as a possible energy option, called on fellow Maharashtra politician and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar on Thursday for an informal chat. Gadkari apparently wanted to properly understand the recent government decision on the mandatory blending of ethanol in petrol.
TRINAMOOL Congress has not yet decided which way it will swing when the vote under Rule 184 comes up after discussion on FDI in multi-brand retail. But it has identified its lead speakers on the issue in both the Houses. Saugata Roy will speak in the Lok Sabha while Derek O'Brien will present his party's arguments in the Rajya Sabha. To make the point that it continues to remain opposed to FDI, the party has also decided to demand a reaction from ministers on some of their earlier statements. But true to her style, Mamata Banerjee is keeping everyone guessing, even her own MPs, about what the party would do once the discussion is over and voting begins.
THE exit of the very visible Kapil Sibal from the HRD Ministry has meant that its capability to attract stars has also waned. Sibal had roped in Bollywood actor Aamir Khan as the ambassador for its National School Sanitation Initiative that was launched in 2010. But when the first awards were given out at a function on Wednesday, Khan was nowhere to be seen. He was said to be caught up with other engagements — he was all over television channels promoting his upcoming movie.
- Revealing Elena Ferrante’s identity violates her desire for privacy
- Breakdown of LoC ceasefire will make it difficult for army to control infiltration
- Academic publishers suit shows how much they benefitted from intellectual commons
- Lack of unity has prevented Sindhi nationalists from pressuring Islamabad
- India must be prepared to deal with a disease that is growing globally
- Challenge for India’s leaders is to show that strength can be blended with subtlety & deftness