Boys’ death: HC junks Asaram Bapu plea, slaps fine
- Modi dares China, asks it to give up âexpansionistâ plans
- Donât discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit to Shinde
- Fraud Office gets govt nod to prosecute Radia firms
- âStingâ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
The Gujarat High Court on Wednesday dismissed a petition by Asaram Bapu and slapped a fine of Rs 25,000 on him for moving a frivolous petition and suppression facts in it.
Asaram had challenged the summons issued to him by the Justice (retd) D K Trivedi Commission for his deposition on December 1 in connection with the deaths of two minor students of the Asaram Ashram-run gurukul in 2008.
The commission is probing into the circumstances under which Dipesh and Abhishek went missing from the gurukul and later mysteriously found dead in July 2008.
Asaram and his son Narayan Sai had been evading deposition before the commission for long. Eventually, Sai had deposed before it on November 11. Asaram was summoned by the commission on December 1 after consultation with his representatives.
However, Asaram challenged the summons at the HC. He contended that he was not a relevant witness before the commission and he should not have been summoned. He also cited his son's deposition and said the panel was asking irrelevant questions beyond the scope of its terms of reference.
Asaram had expressed apprehension that alleged irrelevant questions by the commission might be used to tarnish his image by certain elements.
On Wednesday, a single-judge Bench of Justice Paresh Upadhyay did not grant the petition and took a serious view on the aspect of suppression of facts by the petitioner regarding prayers of earlier petition moved by him which was dismissed by the HC in August. In the said petition, Asaram had challenged the summons issued to him by the commission in July. Calling the petition as frivolous, the court imposed a fine on Asaram and dismissed the same.
- ‘Irrespective of the noise, BJP won’t get so many seats. There is craze for Modi, but how much translates into votes is difficult to say’
- Hindus should 'produce' at least 5 children, says VHP leader Ashok Singhal
- AMU teachers body to boycott Mulayam visit
- Mulayam, Akhilesh woo Brahmins, Muslims
- ‘Sting’ journalist who reported on Amit Shah gets VIP security
- Don’t discriminate between Muslims and others on false cases: Purohit writes to Shinde
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly
- Modi: Happy that my speeches contribute to nation’s coffers | The Indian Express