For thrashing eve-teasers, cops lodge case against girl
- Babri demolition sting an attempt to inject poison in peaceful election atmosphere: BJP
- Sentencing in Shakti Mills gang-rape case likely today, convicts may get death
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: Middleman Haschke enters plea bargain
- AAP manifesto: Jan Lokpal, justice system party's top priority
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Modi slams Sonia over women's safety, woos advaisis in Maharashtra
A college girl who hit the headlines by kicking and punching eve teasers recently has landed in trouble with the city police registering a case against her based on a local court order.
The courage shown by Amrita, a final year degree student of a city college, has been widely applauded for the way she "handled" her tormentors at a wayside eatery on her way home after participating in "One Billion Rising" programme at Shanghumugham beach on February 14.
After her bold act appeared in the media, she has been showered with phone calls and letters praising the manner in which she handled the situation and a state minister even visited her home to pat the courageous girl.
Following the incident, police registered a case against the two eve teasers.
One of the accused, however, filed a private complaint in a local court alleging he had been beaten up by the girl who also blocked his car.
Admitting the complaint, the court yesterday directed the city police to register a case and investigate the incident.
Meanwhile, state Women's Commission chairperson K C Rosakutty and leaders of various women outfits criticised the action against Amrita, who is widely seen as a symbol of "courageous womanhood".
A black belt in Karate, Amrita said she would legally fight the case against her.
- Why those behind bars be allowed to contest elections, SC asks government
- Obama appoints Indian-American to key administration post
- SC refuses to entertain PIL against post-poll alliances by parties
- 700 Indian-owned cos in UK employ over 1 lakh persons: study
- Post-election showdown looms for RBI chief Raghuram Rajan
- 10 big fights of Gujarat