Brazil prostitutes to learn English for 2014 World Cup
- L-G Jung functioning as if there is President's Rule in Delhi: Sisodia
- Suicide car bomb kills at least 6, injures 9 in Kabul
- VIDEO: Teased by bodyguard, Agra woman smashes SP leader's Mercedes
- Amid Delhi Chief Secy row, at least dozen govt officers ready to leave city
- Modi govt calls for 'fitting' commemoration of Rajiv Gandhi death anniversary
Prostitutes in one of Brazil's biggest cities are beginning to sign up for free English classes ahead of this year's Confederations Cup and the 2014 World Cup.
Cida Vieira, president of the Association of Prostitutes in the city of Belo Horizonte, said Tuesday that 20 have already signed up for the courses and she expects at least 300 of the group's 4,000 members to follow suit. The association is organizing the classes and seeking volunteer teachers.
"I don't think we will have problems persuading English teachers to provide services for free,'' she said. "We already have several volunteer psychologists and doctors helping us.''
She said classes are expected to begin in March and last up to eight months.
"It will be important for the girls who will be able to use English to let their clients know what they are charging and learn about what turns them on,'' Vieira said by telephone.
"And for the same reasons we are also thinking of offering free French and Italian classes,'' she added.
Prostitution is legal in Brazil.
Belo Horizonte's 62,000-seat Mineirao Stadium will host three matches of the Confederations Cup and six games of the World Cup.