China confers top science award on noted scientist Dr C N R Rao
- Army said unit was headed for IAF drill, ex-Air Chief says this was due only a month later
- Wary of Muslim âdisapprovalâ, Mamata doesnât meet US envoy
- Telangana bill passage shows country can take difficult decisions: Prime Minister
- The 2012 troop movement investigations
- India slams Pakistan for allowing Masood Azhar to spew venom
Noted Indian scientist Dr C N R Rao has been conferred with China's top science award for his important contributions in boosting Sino-India scientific cooperation.
Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) yesterday gave its 2012 Award for International Scientific Cooperation to three scientists from India, Germany, and Russia.
Rao, 79, founder of Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore, shared the 2012 award with Herbert Jaeckle of Germany's Max Planck Society and Russian space physicist G A Zherebtsov.
The awards are given every year by the CAS, which is China's top academic and research institution for natural sciences.
It has so far honoured 17 international scientists for their contributions in Sino-Foreign research cooperation, since the prize was instituted in 2007.
"Rao is devoted to the research of solid-state and structural chemistry. He was awarded for his important contributions in boosting scientific cooperation between China and India, as well as raising the scientific capabilities of
developing countries", state-run Xinhua news agency quoted CAS as saying in a statement.
Rao has won various prestigious awards. He is currently the Head of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Indian Prime Minister.
German scientist Jaeckle specialised in the fields of molecular developmental biology. He has actively promoted scientific cooperation between China and Germany, CAS said.
He has explored and put into practice approaches thatintegrate a Max Planck management model with the CAS's scientific research system, as well as set up an international team of researchers, it said.
Zherebtsov has actively promoted the construction of a Sino-Russian weather research centre and is currently working to get Russia involved in a CAS space science programme, the CAS said.
- Army withdraws invite asking scribes not to wear pheran at J&K press meet
- Orissa law minister shot at in Puri
- In attendance, Rahul led party in Lok Sabha — from the bottom
- Court raises Jaya silver question
- Gang with Pak link duped Indians in Saudi, busted
- Wary of Muslim ‘disapproval’, Mamata doesn’t meet US envoy
- What should common man expect when PM’s killers are freed: Rahul on Jayalalithaa’s decision
- Anna Hazare says, I support Mamata Banerjee for her ideas
- The regressive state | The Indian Express
- Top General speaks: Def Secy summoned me late night, said highest seat of power was worried, troops must go back quickly