Breast Cancer: ‘Single stage breast reconstruction preferred choice of surgery’
- GST Bill in Rajya Sabha this week, Jaitley to discuss amendments with state finance ministers
- Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio 2016 Olympics participation under threat
- AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan arrested for threatening a woman
- Kin of missing AN-32 passengers, crew: Across the country, they wait for word, hoping and praying
- Kashmir unrest: Of 317 with pellet injuries in action by CRPF, over 50% have been hit in eye
Dr Chris Khoo from England trained surgeons on the new technique Under the 2-day CME programme.
"Immediate Single Stage Breast Reconstruction Post Mastectomy is becoming the preferred choice of surgery and increasingly popular in India," says Dr C Koppiker, breast surgeon, Jehangir Hospital,
Speaking at the Continuing Medical Education (CME) programme on new breast reconstruction technique, he said, "For many women, getting rid of breast cancer is like rebuilding their lives. Breast reconstruction surgery has given many women a fresh lease of life after their cancer treatment. If you keep thinking that you are abnormal owing to the fact that your breast has been operated upon, you will never feel beautiful or confident about yourself again."
Noted surgeon from England Dr Chris Khoo was in India to train surgeons on the new breast reconstruction technique that is a single stage reconstruction. Over 20 breast and plastic surgeons had participated in the two-day CME programme.
Fortunately, a single-stage breast reconstruction may bypass the need for many surgeries as almost everything is done at one time itself, reducing the cost of surgery and recovery time. After the cancerous tissue is removed, surgeons put an implant in its place, circumventing the need for an expander pack, which is only required when a mastectomy removes skin. With new implants that are a combination of Silicon Gel and Saline, it is easy to get the right shape and size.
As per statistics in urban areas, one in 22 women have chances of developing breast cancer in India as compared to USA where it is one in nine women. According to the Public Health Foundation of India, breast cancer is the most common cancer in metropolitan cities and is predicted to be the most common type of cancer in the coming decade. In metropolitan cities, breast cancer is the leading cancer diagnosis in women, with rates nearly twice as common as cervical cancer - Bangalore (30.9 per 100,000), Chennai (33.0 per 100,000), Delhi (31.4 per 100,000), Mumbai (29.3 per 100,000) and Kolkata (20.6 per 100,000).
- Kashmir unrest: A to-do list for PM Modi
- Not too late to reverse an ugliness spreading in the name of our sacred cows
- Arvind Kejriwal is uncomfortable with anyone with a mind of his own
- Not just the Arunachal switch but the choice of Sheila Dikshit for the UP are warnings to the BJP
- Gujarat unrest shows while Dalit lives have improved, conflict has increased
- Zakir Naik is ‘protected’ as an Indian citizen but he considers himself a Muslim first