Bride refuses to marry after in-laws demand luxury car
- Rahul on leave before budget session, BJP says people have already sent Cong on long leave
- 21 more deaths due to swine flu, toll reaches 833
- Anna protests against Land Acquisition Bill in Delhi, lashes out at Modi govt
- Budget: Finance Minister may announce policy plans to combat blackmoney
- Land Acquisition Act "suitably refined": President Pranab Mukherjee
A woman refused to marry her NRI fiance after he and her in-laws put up a demand for a luxury car and Rs 50 lakh as dowry. The woman has also filed an FIR in Sarabha Nagar police station against Arshdeep Singh of Patran, Patiala, and his father Jagmel Singh. The bride-tobe has been pursuing MBA after completing BCA and Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication while Arshdeep Singh is settled in Australia.
The case has been registered after a three-month long inquiry conducted by Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (city-3) Joginder Singh.
Balwinder Singh, father of the girl, said he had solemnised the engagement of his daughter Simarnjit Kaur (27) with Arshdeep Singh at Majestic Park Plaza Hotel in September, 2012 and had spent Rs. 1.50 lakh. He alleged that after engagement, the groom's family demanded a Fortuner car in dowry and had asked them to spend Rs 50 lakh on the marriage function.
Shocked by the demand, Simranjit refused to marry Arshdeep and decided to file a case.
Sub-Inspector Manjit Singh of Sarabha Nagar police station said a case has been registered after inquiry and the police have launched a manhunt to arrest the accused.