- One year of AAP sarkar: Kejriwal announces cleaner water, better healthcare facilities
- JNU row: Meet the family of Kanhaiya who is a ‘danger to Mother India’
- Great as FM, reforms stopped after Manmohan Singh became PM: Jaitley
- Dial Kejriwal: Delhi Cabinet to take your calls today, 11 am onwards
- Sunanda Pushkar death probe: Tharoor questioned by Delhi Police for 5 hours
13 parliamentary secretaries sworn in
Kolkata:Amidst a boycott by the entire opposition, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday administered the oath of office and secrecy to 13 parliamentary secretaries, all Trinamool Congress MLAs, in the state. The appointment of parliamentary secretaries was resented by the opposition parties on the ground that it would impose a further burden on the state government already stressed by an acute financial crisis. The parliamentary secretaries will enjoy the status, privileges and perks similar to that of a minister of state or deputy minister as the Chief Minister prefers.
Tea garden suspends work in Jalpaiguri
Jalpaiguri:Chamorchi Tea Garden at Banarhat in Jalpaiguri district has declared suspension of work from Wednesday midnight, throwing 1,074 employees out of their jobs. The manager gave the suspension of work notice to the Banarhat police station last midnight and left the garden, sources said.
Another suspension of work notice was put up at the garden gate. The police had gone to the garden on January 21 after employees protested half pay announced by the management on account of fall in production. After police intervention, the manager of the garden had declared that full pay would be paid. The garden had closed a number of times in the past because of "poor financial health" and had reopened recently.
Body of woman found floating in river