Briefly World: Chavez postpones swearing-in
- Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- Subrata Roy to remain in Tihar, Supreme Court calls Sahara's proposal "dishonourable"
- Arvind Kejriwal stopped on way to meet Narendra Modi
- Modi's next round of Chai pe charcha doesn't have police permission yet
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
Chavez postpones swearing-in
CARACAS: Venezuela will postpone the inauguration of President Hugo Chavez for a new term due to health problems, the government said on Tuesday. "The commander president wants us to inform that the post-operative recovery should extend past January 10. As a result, he will not be able to be present at the National Assembly," said Vice President Nicolas Maduro.
Pak: 5 held for killing women polio workers
Karachi: Pakistani police said they arrested five alleged Taliban suspects Wednesday on suspicion of killing women polio vaccinators and plotting to attack Karachi airport. "We have arrested five men from Ittehad Town in Karachi's west who were involved in killing four out of five female health workers in Karachi last month," senior police official Ghulam Shabbir Shaikh said.
Obama to pick Lew as next treasury chief
WASHINGTON: US President Barack Obama will nominate White House chief of staff Jack Lew as his next Treasury Secretary on Thursday, replacing Timothy Geithner, according to a source familiar with the matter. Lew has served as budget director for Obama.