Briefly World: Chavez postpones swearing-in
- April 23 campaign roundup: AAP leader Somnath Bharti thrashed by alleged BJP supporters in Varanasi
- Stakes high for BJP, Congress as 11 states go to polls tomorrow; A Raja, Milind Deora in fray
- Arvind Kejriwal beats Narendra Modi in Time magazine's poll of most influential people
- Priyanka Vadra rakes up snooping row to target Narendra Modi
- IPL 7: All-round Jadeja steals show in CSK win
Chavez postpones swearing-in
CARACAS: Venezuela will postpone the inauguration of President Hugo Chavez for a new term due to health problems, the government said on Tuesday. "The commander president wants us to inform that the post-operative recovery should extend past January 10. As a result, he will not be able to be present at the National Assembly," said Vice President Nicolas Maduro.
Pak: 5 held for killing women polio workers
Karachi: Pakistani police said they arrested five alleged Taliban suspects Wednesday on suspicion of killing women polio vaccinators and plotting to attack Karachi airport. "We have arrested five men from Ittehad Town in Karachi's west who were involved in killing four out of five female health workers in Karachi last month," senior police official Ghulam Shabbir Shaikh said.
Obama to pick Lew as next treasury chief
WASHINGTON: US President Barack Obama will nominate White House chief of staff Jack Lew as his next Treasury Secretary on Thursday, replacing Timothy Geithner, according to a source familiar with the matter. Lew has served as budget director for Obama.