Briefly World: UAE puts 94 people on trial for plotting to overthrow regime
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
UAE puts 94 people on trial for plotting to overthrow regime
DUBAI: Cracking down on Islamist groups, the UAE has put 94 people with suspected links to the Muslim Brotherhood on trial for plotting to overthrow the Gulf regime and seize power. UAE Attorney General Salem Saeed Kubaish said 94 suspects have been referred to the Federal Supreme Court for trial.
China test-flies heavy air force freight plane
BEIJING: China said it successfully tested a heavy air-force freighter that could be a mostly home-grown substitute for the older Russian planes it now uses while substantially boosting the Chinese military's global reach. The Y-20 flew took off from its development base near Xi'an Saturday, the China Daily and other newspapers reported Monday.
Iran arrests 11 reformist journalists: Minister
Tehran: Iran has arrested a group of journalists on security charges, a minister said Monday, confirming reports that 11 reporters close to reformists were detained for their links to foreign Persian press. "We are investigating the detention of the journalists and why they are detained," Culture Minister Mohammad Hosseini was quoted as saying by ISNA news agency.
2 Indians sentenced to jail, flogging in Saudi Arabia
Dubai: Two Indian nationals have been sentenced to one year in prison each and flogging for illegally manufacturing and selling liquor in Saudi Arabia, where alcohol is strictly prohibited. The court also ordered them to be deported after their sentence.
Philippine extremists refuse to free hostages
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it