Briefly World: UN envoy calls for transitional govt in Syria
- If Pakistan has sympathy for Kashmiri youth, they shouldn’t provoke them to attack army camps: Mehbooba Mufti
- Dhaka cafe attack mastermind, 2 others killed in police encounter
- Rio 2016 review: What they did at home, what in Olympics
- Buzz of change in Maldives, Mohammed Nasheed flies secretly to Lanka
- Kashmir: Police constable shot dead by terrorists
UN envoy calls for transitional govt in Syria
MOSCOW: International envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi Thursday said a transitional government should be granted full executive powers until President Assad's term ends in 2014.
Putin to sign law barring US adoptions
MOSCOW: Russian President Vladimir Putin Thursday said he will sign a controversial bill banning Americans from adopting Russian children. He said the authorities deny access to adopted Russian children and let the Americans suspected of violence towards Russian adoptees go unpunished.
Ailing Bush Senior shifted to ICU
AUSTIN: Former President George H W Bush, who led a coalition that ejected Iraqi forces from Kuwait in 1991, is in intensive care at a Houston hospital in "guarded condition".
Iran president sacks health minister
TEHRAN: Iranian state TV reported Thursday President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad dismissed health minister Marzieh Vahid Dastjerdi after her ministry put out a statement criticizing authorities for not providing money to import medicine. Dastjerdi, the sole female member of the cabinet, has been replaced by a temporary caretaker.
Man dies after eating 28 raw eggs for a bet
Moscow: A 20-year-old man in Tunisia died shortly after eating 28 raw eggs for a bet, a local media report said. Dhaou Fatnassi from El Baten bet with his friends he would be able to eat 30 raw eggs for an undisclosed sum of money, Tunisia's Shems FM radio station reported Wednesday.
Mubarak moved to army hospital
- In Kashmir, so-called solutions are riddled with contradictions and divisions
- Why personal, social and political self-identification of Dalits must count more than legal nomenclature.
- The draft surrogacy bill violates the fundamental right of people to choose modes of parenthood
- Realpolitik drives Myanmar’s outreach to India and China
- Epidemics in India are seldom followed by a long-term response
- Pakistan army has a battle to win: The corruption within