Briefly World: UN envoy calls for transitional govt in Syria
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
UN envoy calls for transitional govt in Syria
MOSCOW: International envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi Thursday said a transitional government should be granted full executive powers until President Assad's term ends in 2014.
Putin to sign law barring US adoptions
MOSCOW: Russian President Vladimir Putin Thursday said he will sign a controversial bill banning Americans from adopting Russian children. He said the authorities deny access to adopted Russian children and let the Americans suspected of violence towards Russian adoptees go unpunished.
Ailing Bush Senior shifted to ICU
AUSTIN: Former President George H W Bush, who led a coalition that ejected Iraqi forces from Kuwait in 1991, is in intensive care at a Houston hospital in "guarded condition".
Iran president sacks health minister
TEHRAN: Iranian state TV reported Thursday President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad dismissed health minister Marzieh Vahid Dastjerdi after her ministry put out a statement criticizing authorities for not providing money to import medicine. Dastjerdi, the sole female member of the cabinet, has been replaced by a temporary caretaker.
Man dies after eating 28 raw eggs for a bet
Moscow: A 20-year-old man in Tunisia died shortly after eating 28 raw eggs for a bet, a local media report said. Dhaou Fatnassi from El Baten bet with his friends he would be able to eat 30 raw eggs for an undisclosed sum of money, Tunisia's Shems FM radio station reported Wednesday.
Mubarak moved to army hospital
CAIRO: Hosni Mubarak, the Egyptian strongman ousted last year after 30 years in power, was moved to an army hospital from a prison hospital on Thursday after a fall that raised fresh concerns about his fragile health.
- Treasure trove: Amicus points finger at temple ‘highest echelons’
- Ramdev ‘goes live’ on poll funding, Congress hits BJP on black money
- Vishwas, Cong worker booked
- Kanpur’s Muslim vote is for betterment, not to stop BJP
- Don’t name next Army Chief before May 16, BJP tells govt
- ‘Opposition conspiring to kill me’